Thursday, October 1, 2009

Dell's taking on the impossible

It's not an easy task to "future proof" any piece of technology in this day and age.  Dell's giving it a shot with their new Vostro line of desktop computers.  Spec wise, the new line offers plenty of customization options.  They'll ship Window 7 ready (due out soon, can't wait!) and have solid options in terms of internal PC components (Core i5 & i7 for the processor, ATI & Nvidia graphics card options, up to 1 TB of storage, and an impressive maximum of 16 GB RAM).  It will also have a 19-in-1 card reader, plenty (10+) USB ports, and older ports for older components (PS/2 & Serial Data ports)



I'm sure upgrading from the standard package price at $699 will up the price, but not to ridiculous levels.  You should be able to set together a decent package for well under the $1,000.

If you want to see what normally happens when you start adding upgraded components to an ordered PC, go to Apple's site here and put together the best Mac Pro you possibly can.  Dual-monitors, double quad-core processing power...go nuts.  I got nothing against Apple, but I always giggle when I pick all the premium options just to see what the final price is.  To get the best stuff, you got to pay the price!

But back to the Dell...I'm not a computer scientist by any means.  I'm not a computer whiz either.  I will say that I am relatively well-informed on the flow of computer technology, and there's one thing I've noticed:  nothing's future-proofed.  Just off the top of my head, I know there's new Intel core architecture around the bend, maybe due of Q4 2009 (sometime late this year) that'll be smaller, faster, more efficient (less heat), and at an aggressive price.  That's just one very non-specific example of how nothing's future-proofed nowadays.  There's plenty more.

Regardless, for someone with limited computer knowledge looking for a PC that's last more than a couple months, Dell has a solid choice for them.

[via Engadget] 

No comments:

Post a Comment